Pat and John:

For years, some of us on this list have tried to be reassuring to the
metrication-averse and to also counter some of the stranger statements made
by the more virulent opponents of metrication.

Simply stated, old units of measure used in expressions like "seven-league
boots" and "Give him an inch and he'll take a mile" should not be a problem.
There's no point in draining the color out of some great figures of speech,
famous quotations, aphorisms, and the like, just for the sake of what is, to
be really honest, just pedantry.

Thus, "inching along" is something I find very acceptable. I really don't
want to turn centimeter into a verb. Anti-metric scaremongers will, of
course, claim that we're going to have to say things like "centimetering
along" or even "two-point-five-four-centimetering along." We know better and
need to let others know that changing the language, along with all the great
idioms, is not the purpose of metrication. Lowly inchworms are not about to
become lowly "two-and-a-half-centimeter worms." (Those with children may
recognize my reference to The Lowly Worm, from Richard Scarry's book, What
do people do all day?)

The other scare tactic is to make ridiculously precise conversions of
popular approximations. One is the case of two hypothetical cities that are
about 80 miles apart. The scaremongers will say that, rather than telling
someone that the remote city is 80 miles away, we're going to have to say
it's "128.74752 kilometers away" or that a signpost bearing the distance,
"80 miles" will have to be changed to "128.74752 km."

Then there's the issue of swimming pool depth markers. The scaremongers
(who, apparently, are unable to think outside the box), will say that
changing the 3' marker to 91.5 cm is silly. They're right, of course, it
would be silly if anyone were stupid enough to actually propose that. What
one does, in fact, is either change it to 1 m or, to avoid any liability
issues, move slightly closer to the deep end and put a 1 m sign where the
depth really is 1 meter.

Having said all that, though, I don't really have a problem with "centimeter
by centimeter" or "one centimeter at a time." For myself, I tend to use
unit-independent terms, such as "in small increments" or "a little bit at a
time."

Finally, I do think the use of "inch by inch" on the USMA Web site is
somewhat tongue-in-cheek. It could also be interpreted as making the point
that, until we achieve full metrication, we're stuck with the presence (or
even omnipresence) of the inch.

Now I must rush away to stop one of my more zealous pro-metric friends from
changing the title of Robert Southey's famous poem to "Centimetercape Rock."

Bill
  _____

Bill Potts
W <http://wfpconsulting.com/> FP Consulting
Roseville, CA
 <http://metric1.org/> http://metric1.org [SI Navigator]

Dear John,

They could try nanometre by nanometre.

This seems to be close to the apparent speed.

Cheers,
Pat Naughtin

PO Box 305 Belmont 3216,
Geelong, Australia
Phone: 61 3 5241 2008

Metric system consultant, writer, and speaker, Pat Naughtin, has helped
thousands of people and hundreds of companies upgrade to the modern metric
system smoothly, quickly, and so economically that they now save thousands
each year when buying, processing, or selling for their businesses. Pat
provides services and resources for many different trades, crafts, and
professions for commercial, industrial and government metrication leaders in
Asia, Europe, and in the USA. Pat's clients include the Australian
Government, Google, NASA, NIST, and the metric associations of Canada, the
UK, and the USA. See http://www.metricationmatters.com
<http://www.metricationmatters.com/>  for more metrication information,
contact Pat at pat.naugh...@metricationmatters.com or to get the free
'Metrication matters' newsletter go to: