To go along with putting L (liter) first, I suggest using the kL (kiloliter) in place of a cubic meter in non-engineering (public) usage. kL is much easier to use and is more understandable by the public. kL would be especially useful to describe river and stream flow, lake volume, etc..
   Stan Doore

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Armstrong" <u...@otoh.org>
To: "U.S. Metric Association" <usma@colostate.edu>
Sent: Sunday, April 05, 2009 8:44 PM
Subject: [USMA:44412] Re: FPLA 2010

On 2009-04-05, at 14:47-0700, <mech...@illinois.edu> wrote:

Attached is a second draft of FPLA 2010 by Eugene A. Mechtly to include contributions by Pat Naughtin and by Stan Jakuba.
<FPLA-4-5.pdf>

Nice job.

Did you see: http://gometric.us/xwiki/bin/view/Labeling/ ?
I posted it a while ago with a few ideas on revisions. Pick it apart
as you need.

Some thoughts:
* Section 2: "Supplementary declarations ... or their multiples." I'd
add "in the same font of a size no larger than the primary indicators"
so that they can print it smaller, but not 10x the size of the primary
indicators.
* I would add full words after the abbreviations (e.g. "if on a
package, labeled in terms of mass, shall be expressed in g or its
multiples;" make it "g (grams) or its multiples;"
* I would probably use the strike through method of showing your
differences as that seems to be accepted practice. Similarly, show a
full FPLA with your changes included for context.
* "(iv) if on a container labeled in terms of volume or fluid measure
shall be expressed in m or its multiples, or ml, mL, or L."
** I'd reword the end as "L (liters) or m³ (cubic meters) or their
multiples". This both puts liters first (so you don't end up with
people trying to sell 10 cubic centimeters of tomato paste) and makes
the language both simpler and consistent.
* 3(A)(II) "multiples" needs to be indented.
* Consistently use L or l (preferably L) in the document.

Paul

--
Make measurement make sense.
http://gometric.us