Heyyyyy.....
it's not Friday!   :)

At 21:33 2009-04-09, Jeremiah MacGregor wrote:
It seems the Japanese knew the truth about the true size of the records before the English speakers did.

What reason would you give that the records are rounded metric and don't live up to their inch name?

Jerry

From: Bill Potts <w...@wfpconsulting.com>
To: U.S. Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>
Sent: Monday, April 6, 2009 2:21:52 PM
Subject: [USMA:44446] RE: Records

Steve:

I have a 1980s-era Kenwood KD5070, which has a resin-concrete base (anti-resonance). It's direct-drive "full-automatic" single-play. I bought it (new) here in California. Its illuminated stroboscope has tracks for both 33-1/3 and 45 revolutions per minute at both 50 Hz and 60 Hz.

It has a knob for setting the size of the record being played. There are four settings for the knob: 30, 25, 17, and Manual. That neither proves nor disproves your historical assertion regarding the oldest records (which go back to long before the introduction of long-play vinyl). It does show that Matsushita (the real name behind Kenmore and, at one time, TRIO) chose SI (and only SI) for the turntables it was selling internationally in the 1980s.

In the Instruction Manual, specifications are given in metric units, with parenthetical US customary units in some (but not all) cases.

Incidentally, my wife and I were revisiting our ABBA LPs last night -- still in perfect condition. We also have quite a bit of our classical collection (including all of Beethoven's Symphonies) on Deutsche Grammophon LPs (although we now have vastly more on 120 mm CDs). Occasionally, I'll still play some of my Timeline Swing Era collection (also in perfect condition).

As a final note, one of our two black-and-white cats sometimes settles down on the hinged dust cover, even when a record is playing.

Bill

Bill Potts
<http://wfpconsulting.com/>WFP Consulting
Roseville, CA