From: j...@frewston.plus.com
To: usma@colostate.edu
Subject: [USMA:44507] Re: metric Britain
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 13:34:12 +0100

At the risk of flogging a dead horse, the attached
scans confirm that Britain is far more metric than people like Stephen
Humphreys
like to make out.  One of the scans shows a recipe that is on a small
packing slip/newsletter that comes with a weekly organic veggie box my other
half has on order from a local farm, Woodlands Farm (this really is local, not
national or even county-wide).  The recipe is metric.  This from a
farmer in Lincolnshire, a very conservative (and Conservative) part of the
country.  [For US readers, Conservatives are similar to Republicans, i.e.
right wing as opposed to left wing Labour, equivalent
to Democrats.]

The other scans are from an installation booklet
that came with a new electric shower I recently bought.  Apart from a
single reference to an inlet pipe diameter, it is ENTIRELY metric.

I believe that, as I've said before, it is
politicians aided and abetted by, for whatever reason, a hostile UK press, who
are trying to prevent Britain from becoming fully metric.  I believe the
average person is quite comfortable with metric - how else to explain, for
example, the recipe I've attached?  There was no legal compulsion for it to
be printed in metric - yet Woodland Farm obviously felt that was what their
customers wanted.

Have a good Easter everybody - I'm off now for my
400 km drive to my cousins's flat in Bournemouth.

Cheers

John F-L