Thanks for the chance Ezra - much appreciated.To be honest the best way is to
visit this country - although I admit that's a rather costly option!!
I also think - to be fair - that your opinion can shape the way you see things.
Say I was a conservative MP - and you asked me how well Labour was governing
the UK - how would I respond?
That said - I really honestly do see myself as 'pro-choice' with a 'general
preference' to imperial (but not always) so it's not as clear cut as polarised
politicians.
You've got me thinking though! Maybe I should take a moment to think about
these things.
We just popped out to see an old Stag (not wildlife, an old Triumph car) and
you can assume that as I was driving my dash presented me with miles/ mph, and
the signs I saw were almost all miles/yds (there were some width/ height but
these were imperial as I was driving country routes).  The LCD display showed
my engine temp in Celsius - I have it that way as the coolant is water - thus?
I think you can see my thinking here!! ;-)
I had to pop to halfords on the way back - they sell car bits.  I need some oil
for the mini.
There are sat nav ads everywhere.  Now originally I noted that they always
advertised the unit with a visible 'metres' on the advertised screen (as if UK
drivers would want that) - as John F-L might say - no one forced them to do
that.  Now, however they're all advertised using yards in the screen shot.  I
wonder if people wanted to make sure that they're unit matched their speedo,
roads etc?  I've yet to see someone set their GPS to metres.
So - I go into Halfords.  What do I buy?  4.5 Litres of Magnetec Oil - up
clicks my 'metric quota'.
Looking back so far - what's the most visual element to my day?  I'd say the
celsius in my car and the imperial road signs.  My mini's spec tells me how
many pints to put in - BUT  - when I do the oil change I tend to put in 4
litres and use the dipstick for the rest.  So measures do get involved a bit
but I'd argue that it's more like the Tesco debate - ie the use of measures is
less important than the scale visually.  That's why I asked a question (a while
ago) whether if US pro-mets had just one 'Genie wish' would they 'do the roads'
or 'do the shelf edge'.  I think you all know what would be preferable.
I will always argue that the best gauge is what people 'SAY' and 'ACTUALLY
READ' rather than the funny print on the side of a packet.  Maybe that's why
roads and pints at the pub are seemingly guarded by politicians and the press?
Because that's a really tangible alteration that people would actually notice.
Also - please remember that during a course of a day measurements make up a
tiny portion of living - lets get some scale (insert pun) to this - there are
more important things in life.  Mine - today - was seeing this stag.  As it
happens the sat nav took us to a dead end with no car sales garage - so the
story goes full circle in the end!

What other experience would you want me to dig deeper into, Ezra?  A day at
work?  A visit to Tesco?  Another drive in the car?  I'll do my best and be as
honest as possible (I've nothing against the metric system - it just seems odd
that I have to fight an odd american who keeps changing his name who admits he
has never been here but 'knows' more than I do about life here!!!)