From: owner-u...@colostate.edu [mailto:owner-u...@colostate.edu] On Behalf
Of John Frewen-Lord
Sent: 13 April 2009 06:58
To: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:44643] Re: Bahamas

I believe the Bahamas is not (yet?) officially metric.  I am a consultant
(rather sporadically) on The Princess Margaret Hospital in Nassau and the
Rand Memorial Hospital in Freeport.  Everything is imperial, primarily
because so much, including the building code, comes from, or is based on,
what happens in Florida.   Most products are in imperial sizes (again, these
come from the USA).  Road signs and car speedometers/odometers are still in
miles. (As an unusual aside, and a recent phenomenon, many cars in the
Bahamas are private import late model right hand drive Japanese cars - you
drive on the left in the Bahamas, but most cars are left hand drive. These
RHD Japanese imports come direct from Japan, where there are limits on how
old a car can be, and of course all have metric speedometers/odometers - but
I was told by a Bahamian government official that there is no law requiring
them to be converted to miles.)

I seem to remember reading something recently about the Bahamas converting
to metric, but I do not believe that it has officially been mandated yet.

Hope this helps.

John F-L