From: vliets...@btinternet.com
To: barkatf...@hotmail.com; usma@colostate.edu
Subject: RE: [USMA:44663] Re: Bahamas
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 19:52:24 +0100

Steve,

I am aware of a number of lines that are
in km/h:

   City & Waterloo line – I checked personally

   Croydon tramway – I believe
that this is the case – the British Weights and Measures Association
website said so

   Newcastle
& Gateshead tramway – I saw the km/h
speed limits when it was first opened in 1980 and was confirmed to me by a
railwayman

   London Underground District
line – maybe.

The London Underground District line terminates
at Wimbledon.  A speed restriction sign at
the start of a sharp bend is quite clearly visible from the main-line –
it has two speed restriction roundals – one with the text “30”
and the other with the text “LUL 45”.  I know that the line is
question is used by both underground trains and mainline trains – I have
traveled
on it using both types of train.  Could the “LUL 45”  text
be “London Underground L??? 45 [km/h]?”

You could also visit
http://www.davros.org/rail/signalling/articles/central.html.
 That site suggests that the London Underground Central line speeds are in
km/h.  I could go on, but I think that I have disproved your point.

Oh, and the Channel Tunnel Railway line is
totally metric.