Yes and no.  I am apparently in the minority, but let me try once more to
clarify the point I am making.

First, if converting an actual measurement, it must ALWAYS be rounded sensibly
at the end. There is no point in "decimal dust" in the final answer.

Secondly, any rounding of the conversion factor can contribute to total
rounding error.  To minimize this, it should be accurate to at least one more
figure than the number being converted, and it does not hurt if it is either
exact or considerably more accurate than the number being converted. (If
entering numbers by hand, you don't need to go overboard).

Sometimes in intermediate calculations which will be used for further
calculations, one guard digit is not sufficient and two or more should be
considered. (certain quadratic solutions, trigonometry involving small cosines,
etc, these are collectively known as "one minus one" problems).

Finally,conversion factors are mostly declared or statutory numbers.  1 gallon
= 231 in³ exactly, 1" = 25.4 mm exactly. so there is an exact value for
converting a gallon or any submultiple to metric.  The exact value need not be
used, good enough is good enough.  However, when an author whines, "I don't
know if it is 236.6 mL, 238 mL or 240 mL,"
there IS an exact value, and a bunch of sensible approximations. (238 is plain
wrong, to the stated precision)

I don't seriously expect anyone to use 236.588 2365 mL/cup, but that happens to
be the exact value, so there is an exact answer.  Depending on purpose, 240 mL,
237 mL, 236.6 mL, 236.59 mL, etc may be suitable approximations.

240 mL may be a fine approximation for kitchen cooking.  For net contents, if
you actually measured out 1 cup, calling it 240 mL would be illegal as it
overstates it, and the amount of overstatement would be a violation of Handbook
130.  (For net contents, FTC mandates a conversion factor good to 6 digits for
comparing metric and Customary statement)

In a computer program, I would use the exact value above and a rounding routine
that rounds the answer after parsing the input being converted.  In a
calculator, I would probably key in a 5 digit approximation as it exceeds any
commercial weighing or measuring standards.  To me, it is not worthwhile
memorizing half a dozen conversion values dpending on the digits in the number
being converted.

--- On Fri, 4/17/09, Jeremiah MacGregor <jeremiahmacgre...@rocketmail.com>