From: mech...@illinois.edu <mech...@illinois.edu>
Subject: [USMA:44885] FPLA 2010
To: "U.S. Metric Association" <usma@colostate.edu>
Date: Monday, 27 April, 2009, 5:06 PM

Mike,

The date the European Union *requires* metric units as primary indications of
amount of contents in packages and on labels and in documentation of packages
is 2010 January 1.

However, Member States of the EU are anticipated to *permit* but not require
non-metric units as "supplementary indications" beyond January 1, as does the
UK now.

Since "2010 January 1" is a "transition" date it seems appropriate as the
target date for a new FPLA; "FPLA 2010" with time for new legislation in the
United States.

The present FPLA *requires both* metric and inch-pound units.
This requirement for duality *does not* conform with the EU Metric Directive
which requires metric units and merely permits non-metric units, even beyond
January 1