You are correct on how the net contents would be tested in the US; the
regulations caution not to round the converted value up.

--- On Thu, 4/30/09, Ken Cooper <k_cooper1...@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Ken Cooper <k_cooper1...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [USMA:44924] Re: FPLA 2010
To: "U.S. Metric Association" <usma@colostate.edu>
Date: Thursday, April 30, 2009, 6:18 PM

Gene

I think that you may have misinterpreted the directive and the national
legislation of the EU members.

Metric is already the primary system used for trade measurement throughout the
EU (apart from the pint for draught beer & doorstep milk in a few places)

In the EU, packages are required to comply with the requirements relating to
their metric marking. A package marked "454 g 1 lb" would be tested to 454 g. A
package marked "453 g 1 lb" would be tested to 453 g (ie the metric is always
primary)

As far as I am aware, US packages marked with the same indications would be
tested to 454 g & to 1 lb respectively (ie to the larger of the 2 contents
declarations)