Stephen said

"Realistically though - it still must be the case that people pick up a can,
tin, bottle etc of red bull/coke/etc on visual size rather than be specific
about the numbering on the side of the product"

How would you describe this can then Stephen? 473 ml/1 US pt isn't exactly a
common size in the UK.

Without using measurement, how can you distinguish it from the 440 ml & 500 ml
cans that are commonly available?

"(even if "he" [ahem] wouldn't allow it lol!)".

It's you that claims I'm a TSO, Stephen. That's the sort of decisions they make.

"Obviously the figures are there to meet regulations but ultimately the
customer would choose a packed item on it's visual scale."

Have you been to Tesco recently Stephen? Have you seen the new size of Rice
Krispie packages? Can you tell them apart from the 500 g packs on a "visual
scale"?

"I see the 2l coke and pint of milk as the only real examples where figures are
used in packed supermarket items."

Yeah. No-one has ever suggested that a bag of sugar can be used to visualise a
kilogramme. And wine doesn't come in a standard 750ml "wine bottle" or anything.

And didn't you go on (and on & on) about a waffle marked with a supplementary
imperial indication?

"In fact a lot of supermarkets have adopted putting a large unitless number
on the side of the cartons that represents the number of pints"

A lot? Is that one or two? What a ridiculous exaggeration.

Ezra - In case you were deliberately mislead - yes there are other firms that
pack milk in round metric but as you look at the shelves the "standard" milks -
so to speak - ie the ordinary skimmed, semi, and full fat - make up the vast
visual bulk (usually on a platform and then palleted up beneath the platform).

Yes Stephen. This is true in Tesco. How about standard milks in the Scottish
Co-op? As I told you when we discussed this last, the sizes available are
500ml, 568ml/1pt, 1 litre, 2 litres & 3 litres. In this shop, the "vast visual
bulk" is metric only, with some dual as opposed to your example, where the
"vast visual bulk" is dual, with some metric-only.

It is easy to find individual examples of shops ranging from 100% dual to 100%
metric-only.

Would you agree with the fact that there is practically no Imperial-only milk
available in supermarkets as they do not sell returnable containers? As I have
stated, there is an increasing amount of "metric-only" like Cravendale or
Fresh'n'Lo, which is not all soya, goat or "dog" milk (I assume that pregnancy
brought that non-existant product to your mind?)

Realistically though - it still must be the case that people pick up a can,
tin, bottle etc of red bull/coke/etc on visual size rather than be specific
about the numbering on the side of the product (even if "he" [ahem] wouldn't
allow it lol!).

Obviously the figures are there to meet regulations but ultimately the customer
would choose a packed item on it's visual scale.

Needless to say I fully understand why this is an important topic for those who
are (genuinely) pro-metric though.

In the UK there's a bit of an attachment to the "pinta" in respect to milk and
just as the 2 liter bottle of coke has become popular the pint-of-milk remains
popular regarding actual usage of numbers and packed items. I see the 2l coke
and pint of milk as the only real examples where figures are used in packed
supermarket items.  In fact a lot of supermarkets have adopted putting a large
unitless number on the side of the cartons that represents the number of pints
therein (I wonder if this is to allow that number to have precedence but be
within the rules due to lack of words).

Ezra - In case you were deliberately mislead - yes there are other firms that
pack milk in round metric but as you look at the shelves the "standard" milks -
so to speak - ie the ordinary skimmed, semi, and full fat - make up the vast
visual bulk (usually on a platform and then palleted up beneath the platform).
I concur with MArtin entirely regarding this point..   Thus to claim
that 'metric milk' makes up a large proportion of milks is extremely misleading
as if you looked at the entire milk counter you'll see mainly the 'ordinary'
milk containers - which show imperial/metric notation.  If you look about for
goat milk, soya milk, milk from a specific farm, low lactose milk, and possibly
Dog milk in Argyll and Bute!,  then combined they could be used to exaggerate
the different available milk brands but this ignores the visual and most sold
milk types.  Unfortunately I cannot think of another similar example to further
illustrate the point.