I participate in CoCoRaHS (http://www.cocorahs.org/), an organization that collects daily precipitation observations from a rapidly growing network of nearly 10 000 volunteers in the U.S. (Please consider joining!) After the daily report has been submitted the acknowledgment page appears and it contains some sort of anecdote, which changes periodically. Below my signature is the one that appeared today.

It's nice to see that this anecdote is entirely metric (with but one exception), as is our National Weather Service. Ironically, CoCoRaHS requires non-metric values from its volunteers; everything is measured in inches on their reports.

I have my Davis Vantage PRO 2 weather station set up to read out in metric units and must then do a conversion to submit my precipitation reports. Since NWS keeps its records in metric units, it would be nice if CoCoRaHS migrated in that direction. They could start by allowing metric data submission as a option and then migrating their volunteers toward using metric rain gauges, etc.

The anecdote reproduced here then would be immediately relevant to the volunteers, since one liter is the same as a millimeter of rain falling on one square meter of surface. And of course one cubic meter is the same as 1000 liters.

My records show that my 100 hectare farm received 1208.3 mm of rain last year, a droughty year since the normal for this area is closer to 1500 mm. Still, that means that 1.2 million cubic meters of rain fell on my farm in 2008, enough to "support" 1200 people. That's the beauty of the metric system -- ease of calculation. So one can calculate the area of some location in square kilometers and then look at the annual rainfall there. Every millimeter of rain that fells on each square kilometer of that location is the amount needed by one person -- one to one!

My mode of getting that water to them was provision of timber, eggs, and cattle as well as potable runoff (downstream and via aquifers).

Jim

Water Footprint

The minimum water that each person requires, on average, for drinking, hygiene and growing food is about 1,000 cubic meters per year. That's about 2/5 of an olympic size swimming pool. Because the distribution of global water resources varies widely, some people get much more than this and some people get less.

Researchers have recently developed the concept of a "water footprint". As indicated on the water footprint web page (http://www.waterfootprint.org), “The water footprint of an individual, business or nation is defined as the total volume of freshwater that is used to produce the goods and services consumed by the individual, business or nation.”

You can figure out your own water footprint using the calculator (quick and more extensive versions) on this site as well learn the total water required to produce various products. Some interesting facts about our water use from the water footprint web site:

* *The production of one kilogram of beef requires 16 thousand litres of water.
    * *To produce one cup of coffee we need 140 litres of water.
* *The water footprint of China is about 700 cubic meter per year per capita. Only about 7% of the Chinese water footprint falls outside China. * *Japan with a footprint of 1150 cubic meter per year per capita, has about 65% of its total water footprint outside the borders of the country.
    * *The USA water footprint is 2500 cubic meter per year per capita.

In addition to the water footprint web site, check out the August 2008 issue of Scientific American to learn more about the global variability of fresh water.

--
James R. Frysinger
632 Stony Point Mountain Road

(C) 931.212.0267