  From: Pat Naughtin
  To: U.S. Metric Association
  Cc: USMA Metric Association
  Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2009 8:57 PM
  Subject: [USMA:45270] Re: Precipitation and water needs

  Dear Jim and Martin,

  Jim's figure of 70 cubic metres per person per year looks a lot higher than
Martin's 6.3 and 11 cubic metres per year!

  Currently, with level 3A water restrictions in Melbourne – 70 kilometres from
Geelong – the people there are restricted to 1255 litres per person per day.
This amounts to about 57 cubic metres per person per year. By the way they're
called kilolitres here when used for measuring water.

  In Geelong our local water authority, Barwon Water, says:

  Did you know?...

    a.. On average, a person uses about 200 litres of water per day, of which
5-10 litres is for basic survival, ie drinking and food preparation.
    b.. The other 190 litres is discretionary and is used for washing (showers,
dishes, clothes, toilets) and the garden.
    c.. Some communities have been successful in reducing average personal tap
water usage to as low as 130 litres per day.
    d.. Approximately half the water supplied to urban areas in Australia ends
up as waste water, according to a report by the Institute for Sustainable
Futures prepared for the Water Services Association in 1998.

  200 litres per day is about 73 000 litres per year (73 kL) , and
  130 litres per day is about  47 000 litres (47 kL) per year.

  Cheers,

  Pat Naughtin
  Geelong, Australia