From: owner-u...@colostate.edu [mailto:owner-u...@colostate.edu] On Behalf
Of Pat Naughtin
Sent: Friday, August 07, 2009 13:02
To: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:45542] Re: Metric Style Question

Dear Jim, John, and Jim,

I agree that the over-enthusiastic placement of hyphens is probably simply
naiveté on the part of the software writers. I will see if I can find some
time to write to the ones I use.

On the side issue of Bob, Bill, and Bubba, I once read that in legal terms
this can be an important issue.

It went something like this:

* If the will of Grandpappy Bertram (known as Berty) read 'divide equally
between Bob, Bill and Bubba' then his estate was divided so that Bob got
half and Bill an Bubba got the other half to share equally between the two
of them.

* If the will of Grandpappy Bertram read 'divide equally between Bob, Bill,
and Bubba' then his estate was divided equally between all three of them.

Cheers,
Pat Naughtin
Author of the forthcoming book, Metrication Leaders Guide.
PO Box 305 Belmont 3216,
Geelong, Australia
Phone: 61 3 5241 2008

Metric system consultant, writer, and speaker, Pat Naughtin, has helped
thousands of people and hundreds of companies upgrade to the modern metric
system smoothly, quickly, and so economically that they now save thousands
each year when buying, processing, or selling for their businesses. Pat
provides services and resources for many different trades, crafts, and
professions for commercial, industrial and government metrication leaders in
Asia, Europe, and in the USA. Pat's clients include the Australian
Government, Google, NASA, NIST, and the metric associations of Canada, the
UK, and the USA. See http://www.metricationmatters.com
<http://www.metricationmatters.com/>  for more metrication information,
contact Pat at pat.naugh...@metricationmatters.com or to get the free
'Metrication matters' newsletter go to: