I've often wondered about the extra letters in words like "orthopaedics" - do
the people in the UK really pronounce the "a" ?

Carleton

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-u...@colostate.edu [mailto:owner-u...@colostate.edu] On Behalf Of
James R. Frysinger
Sent: Friday, August 07, 2009 15:02
To: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:45541] Re: Metric Style Question

Jim,

John Steele gave a good answer.

English tends towards simplification of writing style over time. There
was a time that "cooperative" required (!) an "unlaut" over the second
"o" to show that a diphthong ("oo") was not intended. I recall when one
saw "catalogue" more often than "catalog". I still use a comma before
"and" and "or" in a series of equal parts ("Bob, Bill, and Bubba").

My impression is that the "double adjective hyphen" is slowly going
away. The SI Brochure and NIST SP 811 demand that for metric values in
symbolic form ("10 mm bolt"), even when used as adjectives. The world is
still split on spelled out forms ("ten millimeter bolt" or
"ten-millimeter bolt").

Jim

--
James R. Frysinger