Someone recently posted to the US Metric Association mailing list a reference to the EPA's use of 'mt' to apparently mean "metric ton". I must point out that the SI/metric system does not use abbreviations, but rather symbols. Symbols are used because of the global scope of the measurement system. For example: a kilogram is symbolized as 'kg' everywhere, even China or Russia or Japan. These symbols just happen to be made of the latin characters that comprise the English alphabet and so the mistaken assumption that they are abbreviations is often made by native English speakers.

The SI symbol for ton is simply the lower case latin letter 't'. The lower case letter 'm' is a prefix meaning "milli-" or one thousandth.

Check this out:
mm : millimeter (1/1000 meter)
mL : milliliter (1/1000 liter)
mg : milligram (1/1000 gram)
mt : milliton (1/1000 ton)

Given that 1000 kilograms (kg) equals 1 metric ton (t), it follows that 1 mt (milli-ton) equals 1 kilogram. To me or anyone who knows the SI and understands that "CO2e" means carbon dioxide equivalent, "mtCO2e" is the same as a kilogram of carbon dioxide equivalent.

A better way to express 25 000 tons (metric) might be to express it as grams but with proper prefix scaling with the following in mind (case is important):
kilo (k) means thousands
mega (M) means millions
giga (G) means billions

25 000 tons = 25 000 000 kilograms = 25 000 000 000 grams => 25 gigagrams (25 Gg).

There is no mistaking the writing of 25 000 metric tons of CO2 equivalent as "25 GgCO2e".