While I cannot say that I speak for 100% of Americans, I think I can safely
state that  when most people in the USA refer to a "yard", they are talking
about the one with 36 inches in it.  And, each one of those inches is equal
to 25.4 mm.  We don't know what year it was approved, agreed to,
standardized or redefined.  What's more, we don't care. It equals thirty six
25.4mm inches.

Unfortunately, the point of my post was pretty much missed by everybody that
responded.  My point is, that the PROCESS of doing conversions develops
skills that are related to and involved in the PROCESS of SOLVING problems.
If a person can't set up the problem, then they can't solve it.  If you
can't set up the factors to perform a lengthy conversion, then you can't
perform the conversion.  The processes are very similar.   Critical thinking
and reasoning skills are only developed through practicing them.  You can't
look them up in a book or an ISO standard.

If you withhold the teaching of the process of doing conversion completely,
or until high school, you are withholding a tool that is an easy and fun way
to start getting kids to THINK about what they are doing and why, and what
they can do with a given piece of information.

I didn't mean to touch a sensitive spot, but I get tired of hearing the
members of this forum run down Americans as being "dumb" or "inferior"
because we haven't yet adopted the SI to the degree that many out there
think we should.

Best regards.

Aaron Harper