Realistically, the difference between the International and Survey yards can't
be resolved with ordinary measuring gear, such as tapes, chains, etc that the
average person might use.

The difference is even below the resolution of ordinary surveying (one part in
10000 is acceptable).  The difference arises only in geodetic survey and in the
false origins used in state plane coordinate systems to clarify coordinates in
states that have multiple zones. (Different false origins are added in the
different zones to basically encode the zone in the coordinates, and have
non-overlapping values.  The false origins may be millions of feet and 2 ppm
adds up.)

The difference also arose in precision machining in WWII; that led to the
conference to resolve the foot in 1959.  As a result, use of the Survey foot is
ONLY permitted in land measurement, and 99+% of us don't have the tools to
measure the difference.  Hell, my calipers couldn't resolve 2 ppm over their
155 mm span.

In the case of real measurements vs textbook examples, VERY few past
measurements would have been made with precision that would resolve 0.9144 m
and 3600/3937 m yards.  It is silly to obsess over the difference.  Just use
0.9144 m unless you KNOW you are dealing with Survey yards.

I belabor this point only because I think:
*The dozens of definitions" argument is fundamentally weak as the other side
recognizes it RARELY has practical consequence (UK and US gallons are a better
example, at least there is a 20% difference)
*It rallies defenders of the yard
I think there are stronger arguments to encourage metrication.