From: owner-u...@colostate.edu [mailto:owner-u...@colostate.edu] On Behalf
Of Victor Jockin
Sent: 28 December 2009 19:34
To: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:46312] Re: Column by Terry Dickson

This half-serious piece is ignorable.  I just wish the international
pressure he mentioned actually existed, or that the President had any
inkling to act on the issue of metric conversion.

I've said a few times on this discussion group that the biggest problem is
the combination of the undemocratic nature of the US Senate (single senators
can block action) and our inherently corrupt campaign finance system
(Senators use that undemocratic power to serve monied private interests).
The result is an inability of the US Congress to act in the public interest
when powerful private interests might be harmed.  This is both why the US
stands alone among industrialized countries in not adopting the world's
standard system of measurement, and why we stand alone in not providing
universal healthcare for our citizens.  The current healthcare debate has
placed this glaring fault in our democracy in full view once again.

We don't need a revolution to change this, just common sense campaign
finance reform and, as Thomas Friedman wrote in the NY Times last week, a
change in Senate rules to end filibusters.  Neither are unthinkable.