From: j...@frewston.plus.com
To: usma@colostate.edu
Subject: [USMA:46784] Re: Canadians seem to have nailed metrication when it
comes to weather
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 09:03:43 +0000

I was living in Canada in the late 1970s when
Canada (half) converted.  There was a lot of discussion at the time on how
difficult it was to convert between degrees F and C.  Eventually, most
people agreed that in fact such difficulty actually aided conversion to
metric.  Once degrees C had become established (with nobody bothering to
convert back to deg. F, too difficult), it followed that windspeed and pressure
should follow suit.  And it happened quite quickly - I remember getting in
an elevator in downtown Toronto during an unsually warm spell in May 1980, and
the lady standing next to me remarked on the fact this was going to be "another
25 degree day" (usual temperature in mid May is around 12
C).

The barometer/thermometer I had in my front hall
measured ONLY in kPa and deg. C.

I have just got back from a visit to Canada.
Re my previous note some time ago on sizes of products in Canadian stores, most
products are labelled ONLY in metric - even those marked as 946 mL,
3.78 L, etc.   But in fact, I found the oddest collection of
product sizes I have ever seen - 532 mL, 1.03 L, 1.07 L (go
figure!), 612 mL, and so on, along with more rational sizes.  I don't
remember it this way.   I cannot make any sense of those values (and
many more like them) no matter what measurment units you use - metric, USC or
UK/Canadian imperial.

I did notice that indivudually packed meat and
vegetable products were weighed and priced only in metric. (e.g. 0.350 kg @
$12.50/kg).

The Olympics are virtually 100% metric on CTV, the
only imperial units I noticed were when commentators occasionally talked about
athletes' heights in feet and inches.

However, metric still has some way to
go regarding the man/woman in the street - while larger distances are
always in km, you are more likely to hear feet rather than metres for small
distances.  Quite how people know just how big a foot is, is
a mystery, as, give the Canadian media (print, radio, TV) its due, they will
almost only use metric values, and the kids are (or were) taught only metric in
school.  Must be from watching too much American TV!

John F-L