In January 2009, I wrote an article in the UKMA's Metric Views, suggesting that
we have to make metric 'user friendly' if we want to get people to use it in
every day speech.  This may mean accepting various colloquialisms.  This is an
excerpt from that article, and reinforces what Ezra has just said:

Ask an American how tall he is and how much he weighs, and he will likely
answer something like “Five-ten and one-sixty-five”  Implicit in this is the
fact that ‘five-ten’ refers to five-feet-and-ten-inches, and ‘one-sixty-five’
refers to 165 pounds.  The British may add the word ‘foot/feet’ (Five-foot-ten)
and give their weight in stones (eleven-stone-eleven). We need to get metric
usage on similar lines.

My Canadian citizenship card shows my height as 178 cm.  This could also be
stated as 1.78 m, which is how citizens of continental Europe would describe
their height.  Either way, it can be orally expressed as simply
‘one-seventy-eight’.  If the listener thinks in metres rather than centimetres,
the decimal point is implicit - we do this anyway in other areas, such as when
looking at prices in, say, supermarkets: “Which brand of pork pie do you want,
dear - the shop’s own at one-ninety-nine, or the national brand at
two-forty-three?”  ‘Dear’ knows without explanation you mean £1.99 and £2.43,
not £199.00 and £243.00.  Notwithstanding Australian expert Pat Naughtin’s
comments to the contrary, I think if we tried to use millimetres in expressing
our height to each other, that would kill metric in every day usage right from
the start.  Sad, maybe but likely true.

Same for our weight.  It’s quite easy to simply say ’seventy-five’ (for 75 kg).
 Some may prefer to add the word ‘kilos’ (ugh!) after it.  If the unit MUST be
added, Canadians and Americans will likely say ‘kaygees’ (ugh!!!).  But saying
‘kilograms’, although technically correct, just sounds so, well, technical (and
even a bit pompous).  A turn-off for too many people.

John F-L