*From:* James R. Frysinger <j...@metricmethods.com>
*To:* U.S. Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>
*Sent:* Sun, July 11, 2010 5:37:25 PM
*Subject:* [USMA:48178] Re: Light bulbs

John,

Thanks for the correction (where was my head?!) and the excellent amplification, including the existence of two principle curves, those being "photopic" (cone, bright light) and "scotopic" (rod, dim light), with the term "mesopic" used to describe the combined effects of those in mid-intensity light situations. We might as well point out that the photopic curve has two "modifications" available that increase its values a bit near to and into the ultraviolet.

What disenchants me in particular about the CIE curve (esp. the initial curve of 1924 [date?]) is its pitiful provenance. As I recall, at least in part, the data for this "visual brightness" curve was taken by questionable experimental means on 12 (?) "healthy young males" at Yale. Modern biology tells us that while men (who are not colorblind) possess three types of cones (based on three receptor molecules), women can possess as many as six, due to the genes for chromatic development being on the X chromosome. It's not atypical for a woman to possess at least four different receptor molecules; I think the "blue-green" one is the one normally existing in dual form. Thus, it's not entirely cultural that women can possess finer color sense than men do; they may be genetically predisposed.

A handful of "healthy young males"?

Your comments about the reluctance of the CIPM to further support photopic units are appropriate, John.

When I was teaching physics I had my students use the 1931 curve, following the integration method you described, to calculate the overall luminous efficacy of incandescent and fluorescent light bulbs (in lumens per watt). It took me some time to track down the values of that CIE 1931 curve. I seem to recall that incandescent bulbs typically ran about 8 % and fluorescent bulbs closer to 30 % in overall luminous efficacy.

For more information, folks, see
    http://www.bipm.org/utils/en/pdf/SIApp2_cd_en.pdf
which exists in electronic form only. The photopic and scotopic curve values are listed in
    http://www.bipm.org/utils/en/pdf/Monographie1983-1.pdf
to which the former link refers.

Again, thanks for the help, John. As you probably sense, photopic physics is not my long suit.

Jim