On Sunday 11 July 2010 17:37:25 James R. Frysinger wrote:
> What disenchants me in particular about the CIE curve (esp. the initial
> curve of 1924 [date?]) is its pitiful provenance. As I recall, at least
> in part, the data for this "visual brightness" curve was taken by
> questionable experimental means on 12 (?) "healthy young males" at Yale.
> Modern biology tells us that while men (who are not colorblind) possess
> three types of cones (based on three receptor molecules), women can
> possess as many as six, due to the genes for chromatic development being
> on the X chromosome. It's not atypical for a woman to possess at least
> four different receptor molecules; I think the "blue-green" one is the
> one normally existing in dual form. Thus, it's not entirely cultural
> that women can possess finer color sense than men do; they may be
> genetically predisposed.

The maximum is five. The gene for seeing blue is on chromosome 7, so while a
woman (or a man) can be heterozygous for it, both alleles are expressed in
the same cone. The red and green genes are on X, and in women one of the Xs
turns into a Barr body, so if she's heterozygous, half the red-seeing cones
have one allele expressed and half have the other.

Pierre

--
li ze te'a ci vu'u ci bi'e te'a mu du
li ci su'i ze te'a mu bi'e vu'u ci