Pat,

NIST SP811 generally uses only seven figures so if the "exact" is longer, exact
is not shown, except by exception.  However, they "bold" figures which are
exact.  There may be issues of whether this clearly displays on a web page, but
the pdf version seems to agree with printed copies.

NIST SP 447 which is a history of US metrology by NIST in Appendix 5 quotes the
original Federal Register publication from 1959 defining the new yard, inch,
and
pound.  However, as the long ton is 2240 lbm, I simply cascaded the definitions
in a calculator with sufficient precision.  NPL might be a better source for
the
long ton, as it is not really used in the US.  (Please note these typos exist
in
your history of the inch)

I have not seen a good summary of the 1958 meeting other than the 1959 Federal
register announcement.  I have never seen any reference to a "secret spelling
agreement" at the meeting.  I would frankly be surprised if we cared how the
British spell "gram," and even the NIST director has to use US GPO spelling if
he wants his documents printed.  The NIST or NBS officials at the meeting would
not have had the authority to decide spelling, but could decide the size of an
inch. :)