From: "John M. Steele" <jmsteele9...@sbcglobal.net>
To: "U.S. Metric Association" <usma@colostate.edu>
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2010 7:40:04 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [USMA:49117] Re: Construction SI

Centimeters might suffice for some measurements. But many fasteners, panel
thicknesses, cabinetry thicknesses, drill holes etc would require millimeters.
One or the other would have to be labelled on the drawing with units
EVERYWHERE. Drawings that have a standard unit unless otherwise noted are MUCH
easier to read. By convention, including ANSI SI10 and other standards, that
dimension is millimeters, in virtually all industries. (IC chip design would be
more likely to use micrometers)

Calculators which offer engineering notation (powers of ten which are also
powers of 1000) allow convenient substitution of prefixes for the engineering
notation, whereas centimeters require you to stop and think every time.
Structural calculations would be a nightmare. In construction, the first order
of business is that the project shouldn't collapse.

If you want "rounder" numbers, just insist most dimensions be a multiple of 10
mm. Problem solved. Anyway, a prefix doesn't create a new unit. It is still the
base unit with a prefix substituted for a power of ten in scientific notation.
(I think Pat will contest this.)