From: Pat Naughtin <pat.naugh...@metricationmatters.com>
To: U.S. Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>
Cc: USMA Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>
Sent: Fri, December 31, 2010 7:35:44 PM
Subject: [USMA:49368] High speed rail error

Dear Carleton,

I think you will be interested in this train story
at http://www.cahsrblog.com/2010/12/hsr-emissions-paper-was-wrong/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=hsr-emissions-paper-was-wrong where
 they say:

Berkeley’s numbers are undone by a simple unit conversion error committed by a
CHSRA consultant. Conversions between metric and imperial units are prone to
errors and misunderstandings, most famously in the case of NASA’s $300 million
Mars Climate Orbiter mission, which was inadvertently crashed into Mars because
of an overlooked conversion between pounds and Newtons. In the case of the
high-speed rail study, the CHSRA consultant’s unit conversion error leads to an
overestimate of HSR energy consumption by a factor of nearly four–not just in
the Berkeley study, but also in the CHSRA’s program level environmental reports.
The energy consumption figure cited in the Berkeley study and its supplementary
data is 170 kilowatt-hours per vehicle kilometer traveled, or kWh/VKT, a
measure
of how much energy a high-speed train consumes on average when traveling one
kilometer. This number is correctly converted by Berkeley from a figure of
924,384 BTU/VMT referenced in the energy chapter of the 2008 CHSRA
program-level
EIR. That chapter in turn references a peer-review study performed for CHSRA by
the German firm DE-Consult in 2000, which evaluated the energy consumption of a
hypothetical 16-car trainset with a seating capacity of 1200 and a design speed
of 385 km/h (240 mph) and an operating speed of 350 km/h (220 mph), essentially
a souped-up German ICE3. The DE-Consult study (unavailable online) contains
detailed performance simulations for the proposed California system that give
the average energy consumption of such a train as 74.2 kWh/VMT, or 46 kWh/VKT
(see copy of Annex 4-11). And therein lies the error: CHSRA’s consultant
botched
the conversion from kilowatt-hours to British Thermal Units, feeding Berkeley a
figure of 170 kWh/VKT instead of 46 kWh/VKT.
I wonder why they were converting from British Thermal Units (no temperature
specified) to kilowatt hours instead of (say) megajoules per kilometre (MJ/km).
Clearly none of the consultant engineers has any sort of firm grasp on
metrology
-- VKT for vehicle kilometre travelled doesn't impress me as coming from a
knowledgeable person who knows his SI from his toothbrush.

Cheers,

Pat Naughtin LCAMS
Author of the ebook, Metrication Leaders Guide, see
http://metricationmatters.com/MetricationLeadersGuideInfo.html
Hear Pat speak at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lshRAPvPZY
PO Box 305 Belmont 3216,
Geelong, Australia
Phone: 61 3 5241 2008

Metric system consultant, writer, and speaker, Pat Naughtin, has helped
thousands of people and hundreds of companies upgrade to the modern metric
system smoothly, quickly, and so economically that they now save thousands each
year when buying, processing, or selling for their businesses. Pat provides
services and resources for many different trades, crafts, and professions for
commercial, industrial and government metrication leaders in Asia, Europe, and
in the USA. Pat's clients include the Australian Government, Google, NASA,
NIST,
and the metric associations of Canada, the UK, and the USA.