The way John's suggests to convert American Football to metres is about the
same as I have suggested privately to some of you (maybe a little bit to this
list, I forget). Plus, I agree that there are more important things to change
before we tackle American Football.

One thing I would change in John's description, I would divide his field (which
is 90 metres long) by lines every 9 m, similar to the lines every 10 yards in
current American football. Then further subdivide those lines by two lines at
the 3 m and 6 m distance from the 9 m lines. In addition, "hash" marks* (I
don't know why they're called that) could be added to mark each 1 m distance
between the 3, 6, and 9 m lines. This would be similar to the current
arrangement of lines every 10 yard (to correspond to the distance the team
needs to gain) plus lines half way between the 10 yard lines (resulting in
lines every 5 yards) with hash marks every 1 yard.

However, although I agree that there are more important things to change before
we tackle American Football, getting the NFL** and the NCAA** to make the
change as part of a plan to introduce and familiarize the public with metres
would be a marvelous publicity bonanza for metrication. (Didn't the Australians
do something like that?)

As is often the case, I am quick to note that I am NOT proposing that the NFL
and NCAA do this or that we recommend that they do it. I'm just playing with
the idea of how it could be done. If they ever decide to do it, I'll be ready
with my suggestions. (And I will admit that mine are not the only viable ideas.)

Bill Hooper
1800 mm tall (50 of my height equals a metric football field of 90 m)
Fernandina Beach, Florida, USA

*Hash marks are short lines parallel to the main lines on the field. The main
lines end all the way across the field while the hash marks are short lines
located at each edge of the field and at a distance of 70 ft 9 inches in from
each side in Professional football and 60 feet for college football. Te has
marks make it easier for the game officials (as well as fans and players) to
estimate distance between the main l;ines.

**National Football League (NFL), the professional football organization and
the Nationals Collegiate Athletic Associations (NCAA), the primary college
football organization.