My gas bill (in the United Kingdom) has a field to tell me whether the meter
readings are in m³ or ft³.  The computer does the rest.

  _____

From: owner-u...@colostate.edu [mailto:owner-u...@colostate.edu] On Behalf
Of John M. Steele
Sent: 31 December 2010 13:59
To: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:49354] Re: metric gallon

I agree on the tradition.

On the economics, there are examples of modifying billing software to
include a "meter constant" which can correct for errors of individual meters
and/or change the unit of measuring from reading units to billing units.  My
gas company recently changed their billing unit from hundred cubic feet
(CCF) to thousand cubic feet (MCF); obviously, that is a really simple meter
constant.  The UK has used a more complex conversion in their natural gas
billing.

Assuming Imperial gallons, 1000 gallons is 4.54609 m³.  A meter constant of
0.219 969 25 will convert kilogallon readings to cubic meters for billing.
Given meter accuracies ±1.5 %, I could certainly round to 0.21997, and
probably to 0.2200 (0.014% error).

Provided the utility knows what customer has what meter (they record serial
numbers in your record), this modification allows piecemeal conversion.  My
water company is changing water meters neighborhood by neighborhood, but
they are not changing measurement units, they are changing to an RF unit
that permits "drive-by" readings.

  _____