From: owner-u...@colostate.edu [mailto:owner-u...@colostate.edu] On Behalf
Of John M. Steele
Sent: 18 August 2011 12:04
To: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:50992] Re: Speaking of currency reform....

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.

The one thing in common with metrication is Congress taking the position it
must be voluntary.

However, changing to dollar coins will not materially improve the simplicity
of scientific and engineering calculation or improve our competitiveness on
the world stage.

You can obviously get all the dollar coins you want either from your bank or
direct from the Mint.  This is about taking paper bills from the rest of us
for no clear reason.

The argument that $1 bills don't last is wrong, as I gave a link to US Mint
data showing a $1 lasts 42 months or 2.6X longer than a $5 bill.  I have
seen no one counter the data from the Mint FAQ.  Does anyone have an
argument they are lying?  If not, proponents of the dollar coin should quit
arguing the bill is short-lived and just admit they hate the rest of us
having dollar bills.

Where is your argument for a $5 coin?  The dollar bill also outlasts the $10
and $20.  Lets ban paper money entirely (many merchants refuse to accept $50
and $100 bills).

I don't like to carry the dollar coin, but it does make a great parking
token and theft-proof money I can leave lying in plain view in my vehicle
without risk.