Concerning Metric Pioneer's recent correspondence, I've always had a problem with what to call the U.S. measurements.

Officially, the term "inch-pound" has been used. I don't care for that because it does not indicate clearly a measurement system. Moreover, it singles out only two measurements, whereas there are many in the "system."

Another common term used is "U.S. Customary" (USC). Is this a good choice?

Now "Imperial" is being recommended by some. Is this a good alternative? I suspect that most people would not connect "imperial" with the United States, perhaps Canada.

I agree that "standard" is not a good choice at all. The standard should be SI metric.

Paul Trusten and you other USMA officers out there, what is the current recommendation?

Martin Morrison
USMA "Metric Today" Columnist