Old-timers will remember that several decades ago there was yet another
push for metrication. At that time, the Society of Automotive Engineers
(SAE), among others, switched to publishing its flagship AUTOMOTIVE
ENGINEERING magazine in metric units. I am purposely not saying SI, because
old metric units were still there, the editors not knowing better. A decade
later, it was back to IP units at SAE, enacted on a protest by protesting
"letters form members." (It was 6 or 8 letters we were told and none of us
on the committee saw any of them; the rumor was that they originated with
influential retirees).

Now I am pleased to share with you that, in the latest issue, although
still “dual united” here and there, almost all units were SI metric
including the most ignored unit of them all, the joule.

Here are some examples: Referring to the Le Mans racing technology the
article says    “10 MJ per lap” (followed by the silly conversion of (2.77
kWh)). Porsche has 8 MJ assist, Audi 6 MJ (no I-Ps). Car dimensions 4650 mm
l., 1050 mm w., 1050 h. (with inches in brackets),  but both the
displacement volume and fuel capacity in L only.

Perhaps the new era of fuel efficiency in racing and the existence of both
IC and el. cars will accomplish what our generation has not.

Stan J.