hadn’t done that before.

Most of the staff at my various doctors, unfortunately, still insist on pounds.

Carleton

On 2016-07-20, 15:43, "USMA on behalf of c...@traditio.com"
<usma-boun...@colostate.edu on behalf of c...@traditio.com> wrote:

    Stan (Jackuba)-- I agree with your final point.  I think that we will see
    metrication come naturally rather than by government mandate.  One big
    driver is technology.  I have noticed that when a new area of technology
    is rolled out -- electric cars and Compact Fluorescent Lights, for
    example, they start 100% metric.  Did you hear any complaints about CFLs
    being measure in lumens?  No.  I doubt that any but us metricists even
    know what a lumen is!

    I hear metric units being spoken of more and more in the broadcast media.
    Millimeters are commonly used for small distances.  Meters and kilometers
    are also heard more.  Degrees Celsius are all over the international
    reports that are on cable television.

    A personal experience.  When I went for a medical appointment a year ago,
    I gave my height in centimeters and weight in kilograms.  This caused some
    confusion because the computer program wasn't set up for it.  When I went
    in a year later, no problem.  I was told that the computer program was set
    up, and that more patients were giving their data in metric units.  If you
    monitor your diet in grams, why shouldn't you monitor your weight in
    kilograms?

    In some ways, a governmental metric mandate may be preferable, but in some
    ways not.  Look at Britain.  It is supposed to be metricated, but it is
    still pretty mixed up after all these years.  --Martin Morrison

    ============
    On Wed, 20 Jul 2016, Stanislav Jakuba wrote:

    > Old-timers will remember that several decades ago there was yet another
push for metrication. At
    > that time, the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), among others,
switched to publishing its
    > flagship AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERING magazine in metric units. I am purposely
not saying SI, because old
    > metric units were still there, the editors not knowing better. A decade
later, it was back to IP
    > units at SAE, enacted on a protest by protesting "letters form members."
(It was 6 or 8 letters we
    > were told and none of us on the committee saw any of them; the rumor was
that they originated with
    > influential retirees).
    >

    > Now I am pleased to share with you that, in the latest issue, although
still ?dual united? here and
    > there, almost all units were SI metric including the most ignored unit of
them all, the joule.

    > Here are some examples: Referring to the Le Mans racing technology the
article says    ?10 MJ per lap?
    > (followed by the silly conversion of (2.77 kWh)). Porsche has 8 MJ
assist, Audi 6 MJ (no I-Ps). Car