About ESD protection, in my B210 the first switch U807 dies all the time; these
need some protection, too :) At the moment I have removed them...

Ralph.

From: USRP-users [mailto:usrp-users-boun...@lists.ettus.com] On Behalf Of
Marcus Müller via USRP-users
Sent: Sunday, July 9, 2017 10:56 AM
To: usrp-users@lists.ettus.com
Subject: Re: [USRP-users] Input power limit for B2x0 series

Hi Sivan,

to add to what Dan already said: You're right, the -15 dBm limit is a bit
overzealous (though I really must stress it's better to be safe than sorry on
that side).

We're actually in the process of relaxing the limits we're stating for this;
compare [1], where we already spec a maximum input power of 0dBm. Of course,
it's absolutely correct that the maximum input power is what we can be sure
that, even under maximum gain, will not lead to damage.

Regarding U800/U813: these are ESD protection, not power limiter diodes!

Now, at +0dBm power (and even more so at +3dBm), the signal will not be
distorted only on the very lowest gain settings. Consider adding a simple
attenuator; Friis' noise formulas contradict that (having attenuation (i.e.
reducing gain) should happen as late as possible in the signal chain to
minimize overall Noise Figure), but these assume amplifiers are still linear,
and you'd probably break that condition.

If you could share the frequency bands you're working on (if preferable, also
in confidentiality directly with me), we can try to come up with a NF-vs-gain
and IIP3-vs-gain relationship that would help you choose the optimal operating
point.

Best regards,

Marcus

[1] https://kb.ettus.com/B200/B210/B200mini/B205mini#RF_Specifications