Hello Martin,

Yes, you can just install the GPSDO in and have the full functionality. The
switch is used to tell the onboard software which reference source is
*preferred*. Switching to internal when there is no internal source will
fail (there is active detection of the reference signal) and the octoclock
will default back to external. Once you have a GPSDO plugged into the
internal socket you will be able to switch to internal.

Regards,
Derek