Hi Brent,

Sounds good. I think the gnuradio pybombs recipe pulls in volk as a
submodule. I think they manage it with the line "gitargs: --recursive" in
their recipe.

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 2:15 PM, Brent Stapleton via USRP-users <
usrp-users@lists.ettus.com> wrote:

> The underlying reason for the mismatches is that, because the uhd/fpga-src
> submodule points to a commit on fpga, we need THAT commit to be on the fpga
> master branch. So, by necessity, we'll always have some amount of time in
> which the two repositories are out of sync (that is, fpga is ahead of uhd).
> This window was longer than usual, and we apologize for that. In the
> future, if hiccups like this are an absolute deal-breaker for you, please
> consider using the submodule pointer, or one of the UHD release branches.
>
> Regarding PyBOMBS, as far as I can tell, there isn't a silver bullet in
> this situation. I like the idea of the uhd-fpga recipe tracking
> uhd/fpga-src, but I don't think git can clone submodules. The best thing
> that comes to mind is to have the uhd-fpga recipe populate the uhd/fpga-src
> submodule, which just saves the effort of manually updating the submodule.
> If you have a better suggestion, we'd love to hear it.
>
> Best Regards,
> Brent
>
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 5:28 PM Juan Francisco <jfrancisco1...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> It seems that this issue has tripped up several people.  It might be
>> prudent to not push the FPGA changes to master until you have the
>> corresponding UHD updates ready to go.
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 12:49 PM Brent Stapleton <
>> brent.staple...@ettus.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Juan,
>>>
>>> In general, FPGA images built from the submodule in the uhd repository
>>> will be compatible with UHD built from that commit. The HEADs of the two
>>> master branches (uhd and fpga) do not have that guarantee. For example, the
>>> HEAD of uhd master branch (as I write this email) is the git
>>> commit 3b42e6f0, and the submodule points to the commit c3987555 on fpga.
>>> Those both use NoC shell compat number 4.
>>>
>>> We'll get the noc shell compat 5 changes out ASAP though, so don't throw
>>> away that image.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Brent

Information contained, linked, or attached to this email and all verbal
communications from WhiteFox Defense to your entity in the prior 30 days
constitute proprietary and confidential information unless otherwise
indicated and is therefore subject to obligations in any executed
confidentiality agreements. Further, this email is intended solely for the
use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not
the intended recipient and this message has been addressed to you in error,
please promptly notify i...@whitefoxdefense.com
<mailto:i...@whitefoxdefense.com> and destroy all copies of the message and
any attachments. This email and attachments may contain technical data as
defined in the International Traffic In Arms Regulations (ITAR) 22 CFR
120.10 or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) 15 CFR Parts 730 –
780.  Export of this material may be controlled by these regulations and
may not be exported or transferred to non-U.S. persons without prior
written approval from the U.S. government.