      From: Marcus D. Leech via USRP-users <usrp-users@lists.ettus.com>
 To: usrp-users@lists.ettus.com
 Sent: Monday, 17 December 2018 9:44 AM
 Subject: Re: [USRP-users] Phase Offset problem when center frequency is
changed dynamically

 On 12/15/2018 08:02 AM, Arun kumar Verma via USRP-users wrote:

  Dear Users
  I am facing problem of phase offset when i change center frequency
dynamically for TwinRX with X310 setup. Here is my C++ code,

  Please advise

usrp_source1->set_rx_lo_source("internal",uhd::usrp::multi_usrp::ALL_LOS,0);

usrp_source1->set_rx_lo_source("companion",uhd::usrp::multi_usrp::ALL_LOS,1);

usrp_sourceDOA1->set_command_time(usrp_sourceDOA1->get_time_now() +
uhd::time_spec_t(0.01));
                 usrp_sourceDOA1->set_center_freq(m_CenterFrequency,0);
                 usrp_sourceDOA1->set_center_freq(m_CenterFrequency,1);
                 usrp_sourceDOA1->clear_command_time();
  I feel set_command_time is not working properly. When i start the X310 my
phase difference is almost zero but as i change my frequency pjhase difference
is random in nature.
  Regards, Arun Verma

 Since you're using the "companion" configuration (where the 2nd-channel LO is
a "copy" of the first), you'll inevitably be dealing with
  physical path-length issues between the output of the first-channel
synthesizer and the two-or-more mixers involved.

 Since there's almost no way to make the path-lengths electrically the same,
given the array of switches, and circuit-board traces involved,
   there'll be some non-zero difference in the electrical path lengths.  This
will manifest as different phase offsets at different frequencies.
   It will also change slightly with temperature, since circuit traces that are
non-zero-length change electrical length with temperature changes.

 The good news is that it should be fairly reproducible, and can be
characterized for your configuration, and you can build a table and use
   that for phase compensation.

 This is very much like the "inside the radio" version of what inevitably
happens out in your antenna "plumbing":

   (A) Getting *exact* phase matches even with apparently "identical" pieces of
coax and other bits of plumbing is near-impossible.  This
        gets worse with shorter wavelengths.

   (B) Those phase lengths will inevitably change with temperature.

 Further, it's even worse, because none of these transmission paths have a
dielectric constant of 1.0, which means that smaller physical
   length differences are "ampified" by the slower velocity in these
lines--that is, wavelengths are physically shorter, so that a physical
   difference affects more of a wavelength.