I am trying to follow the instructions at
https://files.ettus.com/manual/page_usrp_e3x0.html

I have a fresh installation of Ubuntu (either 16.04 or 18.04)

When I get to the point of setting up the cross compilation
environment, I get a fatal error. This is some sort of Python issue,
for which I am not a Python developer, I have no idea what I should be
doing to fix this.

My goal is to compile my custom C++ code against UHD for the E310. If
there is a better solution please let me know. Thank you.

$ . e3xx/environment-setup-armv7ahf-vfp-neon-oe-linux-gnueabi
$ CC
Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: Unable to get the locale encoding
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'encodings'

Aborted (core dumped)

--
Martin K.