On 04/29/2019 08:08 PM, Mark Wagner via USRP-users wrote:
Hey all,

I'd like to know how to write short files of streamed USRP data periodically using GNUradio. For instance, I'd like the USRP to automatically record 5 seconds of data every 10 minutes. It does not matter to me whether the USRP is constantly on and most of the data is being discarded, or if the USRP wakes up every 10 minutes to record the data before sleeping. Whichever is easiest to achieve is fine by me. Does anyone have experience doing this kind of thing?

-Mark

--
Mark Wagner
University of California San Diego

If you're using Gnu Radio, you can simply use the file sink, and have it record to "/dev/null" most of the time, then have something (perhaps via the XMLRPC built-in feature) change the filename to whatever your desired filename is, and then revert it back to "/dev/null".

I think I said the same thing on the discuss-gnuradio mailing list a few days ago.

The usrp-users mailing list isn't the best place to ask Gnu Radio questions, a question like this, which is inherently radio-type agnostic, probably belongs on the discuss-gnuradio mailng list, because it's more about "how do I make Gnu Radio dance".