Hi Mark,

If you look at gr-filerepeater (https://github.com/ghostop14/gr-filerepeater
or from pybombs), I just recently added an advanced file sink to the
module.  One thing it has is a message port that you can pass a state key
in the metadata to (1 to record, 0 to stop).    The block will also
automatically roll a timestamp into the filename when it starts a new file
so it doesn't overwrite your historical ones.

Give me a day or so and I'll add a new block to generate the message
packets to do "x minutes on, y minutes off".  I'll add it to the
gr-filerepeater module.  It's been on my list for a while anyway.