Ryan,

In that example, line 93 sets the USRP's internal sense of time to 0.0s,
after which point this sense of time ticks up. Any timed commands you issue
to the USRP need to occur in the future, relative to the USRP's sense of
time. In this case, you have to give a "--secs" value greater than 0.0 +
the latency for the stream command to be processed and sent to the radio
over Ethernet (probably hundreds of microseconds).

As far as initialization of timespec, I'm not sure what it should
initialize to by default. But for the intermittent, race-condition-esque
behavior you're describing, it couldn't hurt to set all of those times
explicitly.

-Sam