From: Brian Padalino <bpadal...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, May 1, 2020 10:28 AM
To: Jerrid Plymale <jerrid.plym...@canyon-us.com>
Cc: usrp-users@lists.ettus.com
Subject: Re: [USRP-users] Setting up an X310 as a signal generator

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 1:23 PM Jerrid Plymale via USRP-users
<usrp-users@lists.ettus.com<mailto:usrp-users@lists.ettus.com>> wrote:
Hello All,

So I have been trying to set up a USRP X310 as a signal generator for about a
week now, and I’m having some issues. Currently I am using gnuradio-companion
to develop the functionality. I have three sets of signal sources that are of
float type, creating the I and Q values that get passed to a float to complex
block. The output of the three float to complex blocks go to an add block,
which then outputs to a USRP sink. Currently, the first problem is with
underruns, I’m not getting a lot of them however I am getting breaks in the
signal when I pass it to a second USRP X310. What would be the best approach to
make sure my signal is coming in strong to the second USRP? I am also having
issues with increasing the power of the signal when it is received, is this
mainly controlled by the gain value on the USRP source in gnuradio? What can I
do to get my incoming signal to have more power?

You can try placing a DRAM FIFO in your transmit flow graph as the first thing.
 That should ensure some tens of milliseconds worth of buffering for your
signals and allow for some host jitter without underruns.

Do you have an external spectrum analyzer or something that can tell you the
power output of the first radio?

The receivers should be able to be saturated by your transmitter, so there's
definitely a gain issue somewhere.

Brian