From: Michael Dickens <michael.dick...@ettus.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 9, 2020 1:15 PM
To: Jim Palladino <j...@gardettoengineering.com>
Cc: usrp-users@lists.ettus.com <usrp-users@lists.ettus.com>
Subject: Re: [USRP-users] E320 SFP speed/duplex question

Hi Jim - Yes you are correct in the E320 FPGA image options: 1G, XG, and AA. I
booted up my E320 to verify; forgot that there is just a single SFP+ port on
the E320 ... I've been working with X310's and N310's for a while now, both of
which have 2 SFP+ ports!

Since I'm on my E320, I tried out the XG and 1G FPGA images. Using "ethtool" as
you noted, the XG image shows "Speed" of 10000Mb/s, while the 1G image shows
10Mb/s ... even though as you note the link modes are just "1000baseT/Half
1000baseT/Full". Strange!

Using the "1G" FPGA image, I can sustain 2x2 MIMO at 1.45 M-Samples/second (but
no 2 MS/s), with the wire format being SC16 (4 bytes per sample) ... that's
92.8 Mb/s bidirectional .. so, clearly more than the 10 Mb/s noted by "ethtool"
... much closer to 100 Mb/s link speed expect throughput (about 90% of
theoretical) but nowhere near 1 Gb/s! Admittedly I had to move to a 1Gb link
via a possibly-ill-configured-switch to get this to work at all, since my
internal USRP testing network is a mix of SFP+ 10 Gb and QSFP+ 40 Gb links.

Using the "XG" FPGA image, I can sustain 2x2 MIMO at 60+ MS/s, which is good.

I'm not sure what's going on with the 1G FPGA image, but if the link works well
enough for your needs then that's the bottom line here!

I believe the following is correct ... and I'm sure if I'm off a bit then
someone will chime in to correct me :)

The Aurora FPGA image is built with the free Xilinx Aurora FPGA-IP, allowing
for FPGA to FPGA high speed serial link. Think of it as a link-layer transport
protocol, where one needs to create the higher-layer protocols to do actual
data transport. Aurora was used in the DARPA SC2 Colosseum for high-speed
transfer between USRPs and other FPGA processing devices. Aurora removes the
internet protocol layers, providing direct access to the physical networking
interface: bits in, bits out ... No ethernet, IP, UDP handling!

We provide a little information on the UHD manual for the E320 about Aurora:

* <
https://files.ettus.com/manual/page_usrp_e3xx.html#e320_fpga_flavours<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__files.ettus.com_manual_page-5Fusrp-5Fe3xx.html-23e320-5Ffpga-5Fflavours&d=DwMFaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=XUEEtUEfpaAEGxRI-WGuqHauOvsPdD2NZkfwDnwpYx0&m=7N8gAH6vgMzO-NwRZFhDG4KfKuV1TD3bECwVc0phexQ&s=XOLlOog92yheS2apHdPQC58eepUR3d9r8QEXmeUcCO0&e=>

{{{
The Aurora image can be used to run BISTs on the SFP.
}}}

* <
https://files.ettus.com/manual/page_usrp_e3xx.html#e3xx_troubleshooting_bist<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__files.ettus.com_manual_page-5Fusrp-5Fe3xx.html-23e3xx-5Ftroubleshooting-5Fbist&d=DwMFaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=XUEEtUEfpaAEGxRI-WGuqHauOvsPdD2NZkfwDnwpYx0&m=7N8gAH6vgMzO-NwRZFhDG4KfKuV1TD3bECwVc0phexQ&s=V3o5ZjN6FSwDrC7ogJcxLGvTkw-vhNq3-xMYd3Eh1yk&e=>

{{{
E320 Built-in Self-Test (BiST)
The E320 series devices have a built-in self-test that can be used to verify
the hardware. It is not automatically run, but it can be invoked anytime by
running the e320_bist executable. Calling

e320_bist -h
will list the available options. Tests can be run by specifying their name, e.g.

e320_bist gpsdo
will test the functionality of the GPSDO. Calling e320_bist standard will run a
standard set of tests, verifying some base peripherals such as the RTC, the fan
and temperature sensors, etc.

Some tests require special hardware connected. For example, for the
sfp_loopback tests, a loopback module must be plugged into the SFP+.

Tests may also load different FPGA images, if required. The aforementioned SFP
tests will load the Aurora FPGA image and use Aurora to run the BER tests on
the SFP port. This is particularly relevant if either a custom image was
loaded, or if there is an active SSH or other connection coming in via the SFP+
ports.
}}}

I hope this is useful! - MLD

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 11:25 AM Jim Palladino