this.

> I'm trying to build a kernel.org kernel (linux-2.6.23.9.tar.bz2) that
> contains your utrace support.
>
> I tried applying roland/utrace/2.6-current/linux-2.6.23-utrace.patch
> expecting that that would work cleanly with a 2.6.23 kernel
>
> but got build errors:
> kernel/exit.c: In function 'wait_task_stopped':
> kernel/exit.c:1282: error: 'struct task_struct' has no member named 'ptrace'
> kernel/exit.c:1282: error: 'PT_PTRACED' undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> kernel/exit.c:1282: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> kernel/exit.c:1282: error: for each function it appears in.)
> make[1]: *** [kernel/exit.o] Error 1
>
> Am I going about this all wrong?  Am I using the wrong patch?  Am I
> missing some?

In general the 2.6-current/ patches are for the current 2.6 sources, like
the name suggests.  The linux-2.6.23-utrace.patch there is an old one I
didn't bother to delete since it might still apply.  But if you are going
to use a stable kernel, then you should be using the appropriate backport
patch series, i.e. roland/utrace/2.6.23/.

The 2.6.23 backport is against 2.6.23, not 2.6.23.y, so a more recent .y
can have (and has just) changed the context so the patch doesn't apply.
I basically just maintain the backport for the Fedora kernels to use, so
generally I'll try to keep it rebased to the .y that Fedora is using.
But sometimes the Fedora kernel maintainers will just fix up a patch
conflict without poking me, so I might not notice that the "official"
utrace backport fell behind.  I've just now updated the backport series
to apply to 2.6.23.9.

If you are doing development with utrace, and especially on utrace
itself, then the preferred thing is to work with the bleeding edge kernel
from Linus's tree du jour (at the moment I don't think it has changed in
ways that mattered since before v2.6.24-rc5).  That is what the
2.6-current/ patch series applies to.  I recommend applying the series
using quilt (or using my GIT branches), though applying just the big
linux-2.6-utrace.patch should work too.