We had a pleasant surprise over the weekend.
The tracehook branch was merged in upstream!

As of 2.6.26-git18, the generic tracehook patches plus the powerpc and
sparc64 arch work are all in.  The x86-tracehook branch is in the
hands of the x86 arch maintainers and I expect it will get pushed up
soon.  For 2.6.26-git18, you still need to apply x86-tracehook.patch.

Aside from the arch merging, the only thing you have to apply now is
utrace.patch itself.

This was the last big milestone on the path to upstream merging, short
of finally including utrace itself upstream.  I'm very grateful to
everyone who helped review the code and everyone who worked on arch
code.

The x86, powerpc, and sparc64 arch support is in good order now and
handed off to the arch maintainers.  If you are intereseted in any
other arch working with utrace or other future debug/tracing features,
now is the time to take that up directly with your arch maintainers.
The arch support can be implemented and merged upstream now without
any interlock with utrace work.  Feel free to CC: me (or this list) on
your patches and discussions with arch maintainers.  For what needs
to be done, see http://sourceware.org/systemtap/wiki/utrace/arch/HowTo

s390 and ia64 have done the big pieces of the work upstream already.
(That's user_regset and ptrace cleanups.)  The rest is relatively
quick stuff that any kernel hacker for that arch can finish up in a
day.  I have written (but never even compiled) a subset of the
remaining pieces for ia64, and I'll send those to the upstream ia64
folks to consider.