Ermit her to correspond with me, I have already written to him on the
risk to which he submits his daughter in this ominous marriage, but I
received neither notice of, nor reply to my letter. Oh, no; the dear
girl is unquestionably doomed. I thinks however, I shall write a few
lines in reply to this," she added, "but, alas the day! they cannot
speak of comfort." Whilst she is thus engaged, we will take, a peep at
the on-goings of Dandy and Nancy Gallaher, in the kitchen, where, in
pursuance of his message our bashful valet was corroborating, by very
able practice, the account which he had given of the talents he had
eulogized so justly. "Well, in troth," said he, "but, first and
foremost, I haven't the pleasure of knowin' yer name." "Nancy Gallaher's
my name, then," she replied. "Ah," said Dandy, suspending the fork and
an immense piece of ham on the top of it at the Charybdis which he had
opened to an unusual extent to receive it; "ah, ma'am, it wasn't always
that, I'll go bail. My counthrymen knows the value of such a purty woman
not to stamp some of their names upon her. Not that you have a married
look, either, any more than myself; you're too fresh for that, now that
I look at you again." A certain cloud, which, as Dandy could perceive,
was beginning to darken her countenance, suggested the quick turn of his
last observation. The countenance, however, cleared again, and she
replied, "It is my name, and what is more, I never changed it. I was
hard to plaise--and I am hard to plaise, and ever an' always had a dread
of gettin' into bad company, especially when I knew that the same bad
company was to last fo

<<inline: sacheted.jpg>>