Hi Turgis,

On Wed, 2011-04-20 at 10:00 +0200, Turgis, Frederic wrote:
> * utrace has not been accepted upstream. Does it mean it may lose
> traction ? Is "community" pushing for something else or happy with
> what they have ?

Parts haven't. utrace builds upon regsets and tracehooks, which are both
in the mainline kernel already. But the answer is both. Lots of distros
ship kernels with utrace enabled already. But there is also...

> * I have also found IBM presentation on utrace-less uprobes. How does it
> affect utrace ?

It doesn't affect it directly. It is just another way to have user space
probes working (but without the easy task triggers). So projects that
now use a combination of utrace and uprobes will have to adjust a little
to work without the easy taks level triggers that utrace brings and use
the page level triggers that the new uprobes proposal has.

Cheers,

Mark