On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 23:53, Steve Meyers wrote:
> I'd use this solution, except use scp for step two.  You shouldn't need
> the -g though, unless other computers are involved.  I hope you're doing
> all this passwordless... :)

I just had a better idea, that you might like.  This idea assumes that
while the route you take through the ssh hosts may be different every
time, there are a set number of possible routes (in other words, there
is a finite number of machines you would ever wish to ssh to).
Disclaimer: I don't know if this will work, but I think it will...

Say you need to get from host1 to host4 to host7 to host9.  On host7,
set up a user named host9 whose shell is "ssh host9".  On host4, set up
a user named host9 whose shell is "ssh -l host9 host7".  You could also
set up a user named host7 on host 4 whose shell would be "ssh host7".
Then, you can ssh to either host7 or host9 with one ssh call to connect
to host4 (using different usernames).

It's crazy, but it just might work.

Steve