> FreeBSD may be working well, but those I/O errors do mean there is a
> physical problem with your hardware, not that FC failed in some way.
> You did do some extensive diagnostics, right?

I would be more inclined to believe that if any other diagnostic had
found a problem, or if I had encountered errors with any other OS.  That
didn't happen, though.  Every test I tried passed just fine, and the
drive worked just fine with Knoppix, Windows, FreeBSD, ...

I'm not too worried about it in any case.  That particular machine is
my work laptop.  If it fails, it will be inconvenient in the sense that
I'll have to work from a different machine while it gets fixed (or
replaced, which may be more likely given the age of the machine), but
it won't be disastrous, since everything important also exists elsewhere
(most of it in Subversion).