Here are some extracts from an interview to Richard Stallman on
January of this year by Jeremy Andrews of KernelTrap.org, followed by
some comments of my own. Here is the link to the complete interview":
http://kerneltrap.org/node/4484

"JA: You regularly have to explain the differences between "free
software" and "open source software", and yet the media continues to
confuse these terms. For our readers that may therefor be confused
themselves, can you explain the differences, and why it is important
to get it right?

Richard Stallman: Free software and open source are the slogans of two
different movements with different philosophies. In the free software
movement, our goal is to be free to share and cooperate. We say that
non-free software is antisocial because it tramples the users'
freedom, and we develop free software to escape from that.

JA: How do you react to the opinion that non-free software is
justified as a means for raising dollars that can then be put into the
development of completely new software, money that otherwise may not
have been available, and thus creating software that may have never
been developed?

Richard Stallman: This is no justification at all. A non-free program
systematically denies the users the freedom to cooperate; it is the
basis of an antisocial scheme to dominate people. The program is
available lawfully only to those who will surrender their freedom.
That's not a contribution to society, it's a social problem. It is
better to develop no software than to develop non-free software.

So if you find yourself in that situation, please don't follow that
path. Please don't write the non-free program--please do something
else instead. We can wait till someone else has the chance to develop
a free program to do the same job.

JA: What about the programmers...

Richard Stallman: What about them? The programmers writing non-free
software? They are doing something antisocial. They should get some
other job."

-So, I guess that, since I intend to produce non-free software at some
point in my career, I am an antisocial, I am taking away by clients'
freedom, I should not be a programmer and I should look for another
job.

"JA: Do you consider it proper for people who are trying to only use
free software to utilize...

Richard Stallman: To connect to a server that's running non-free
software? I don't feel I need to refuse to connect to a server that is
running non-free software. For that matter, I won't refuse to type on
a computer that's running non-free software. If I were visiting your
house for a little and you had a Windows machine, I would use it if it
were important for me to use it. I wouldn't be willing to have Windows
on my computer, and you shouldn't have it on yours, but I can't change
that by refusing to touch the machine."

-Keep it in mind, you SHOULDN'T run Windows on your computer. Please
uninstall it ipsofacto.

"JA: What if your job requires you to use non-free software?

Richard Stallman: I would quit that job. Would you participate in
something anti-social just because somebody pays you to? What if the
job involves hitting people on the head in the street and taking their
wallets? What if it involves spreading the word that Democrats should
vote on Wednesday instead of Tuesday? Some people seriously claim that
you can't criticize what someone does if it is part of their job. From
my point of view, the fact that somebody is being paid to do something
wrong is not an excuse."

-I know that many members of the UUG work in the Windows platform. You
guys should quit your jobs immediately.

Here are some of Stallman's ideas (with some of my sarcasm included).
Judge by yourselves whether he goes too far or not.

Chris Alvarez