I would say VMware server is easier to use the VMplayer it is a pain to have
to rerun the scripts every time you update the kernel though. I haven't had
so many problems installing the tools in the guest, but that is harder in
VMplayer. Problem is there is no hardware graphics acceleration in Player or
Server. Workstation 6 has directX support for some games, but it's not free.

As far as I understand Xen will only work with Linux VMs and Parallels will
run under Linux, but since they have shifted their primary focus to Mac, I'm
not sure how great their Linux product is anymore.

I think VMware has the corner on the virtualization market right now, but
there are other good products coming out. I looked at VirtualBox about a
year ago and it wasn't mature enough. I just looked again this morning and
I'm impressed by the progress they have made. I'll still be sticking with
VMware until someone comes out with a VirtualCenter type app and VMotion.

Robert

On 8/13/07 10:34 PM, "Bryan Murdock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Wow, I've been very impressed with the discussion on multimedia codecs
> for The Church.  Reminded me of the good old days of the UUG.  Thanks,
> everyone.
>
> I have a question for the group wisdom here.  What is the best
> free/cheap desktop virtualization for occasionally running a windoze
> desktop under Linux?  xen?  vmplayer?  vmware server? qemu?
> parallels?  virtualbox?
>
> Let me define what "best" means for me right now.  High performance,
> easy install and maintenance.  Cheap, preferably free (or even Free,
> with a capital F).
>
> This might be giving too much information now, but I basically need
> something for occasional PAF use, some kiddy CD-ROM games such as Dora
> the Explorer, Blue's Clues, etc., and any other rare windoze-only
> application.  I've used vmplayer, but it has failed in the easy to
> maintain area for me.  Every kernel update required me to re-run that
> setup perl script that they have manually.  Otherwise it was pretty
> easy to use.  Performance wise, once I got the vmware tools installed,
> which was also more difficult than it needed to be, it wasn't too bad.
>  Is there anything better these days?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bryan

Robert LeBlanc
College of Life Sciences Computer Support
Brigham Young University
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(801)422-1882